[FAT-News] WDC 2008 Newsletter #1 (english version)

Sebastian Beer a9603697 at unet.univie.ac.at
Di Feb 26 14:54:53 CET 2008

Dear friends and participants of FAT,
Dear friends and participants of WDC 2008!

As all of you will know by now, WDC 2008 is hosted by the Austrian
Hobby. In the following lines we are going to provide you with all the
vital informations you should know in order to attend.

***********************************
IMPORTANT
All the rooms at the venue are only available for us until the end of
May. After that deadline, the hotel is going to give them away (and it
is a well booked hotel). Therefore it is important that you register
(and pay) AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. We are fully aware, that this is an
unusual situation, and that registering until the start of the
tournament is usually possible. IN OUR CASE, THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE. Who
hasn't got a room until the end of may is most likely not to get a room
at the venue at all. You would have to check yourself a room in the
villages close by, which means:
a) No castle;
b) You're far from all the fun;
c) It is not going to be as good an offer as ours;
d) You have to care for transport yourself.
If you are in doubt what to do, register now, and we are going to help
you finding you a person who takes over your place.
***********************************

1. WDC in brief
Thu, August 14th until Sun, August 17th 2008

Burg Lockenhaus
(Lockenhaus Castle)
Guenserstrasse 5
7442 Lockenhaus
Austria

www.wdc2008.org
office at tu-felix-austria.org

2. Getting there
It will probably never be that easy to attend a WDC again. The one thing
you have to take care for yourself is how to get to Vienna. In Vienna,
there will be a shuttle bus going right to the venue (starting at
western train station or Airport).

Our Bus is going
on Thursday, 14. Aug 2008 from Vienna to Lockenhaus
leaves Westbahnhof (Western Train Station) at 7 p.m.
leaves Vienna Airport: at 8 p.m.

on Sunday, 17. Aug 2008 from Lockenhaus to Vienna
arrives Vienna Airport at 6 p.m.
arrives Westbahnhof (Western Train Station) at 7 p.m.

If you are going by car, you'll find some useful maps here:
http://www.wdc2008.org/en/anreise.php

Please checkmark the way you are going to go to Lockenhaus at your
registration. That really helps organizing.

3. The venue
We sleep, eat and play at Burg Lockenhaus in Burgenland, the
southeasternmost part of Austria. Burg Lockenhaus is an 800 year old
castle. A real beauty, by the way.
http://www.ritterburg.at/

You may chose between three different types of accomodation:

Category 1: Knappe (Squire)
4 people sharing one room with a shower in a 3-star hotel. Three nights
full board (breakfast, snack, supper) for 99.- Euro.

Category 2: Ritter (Knight)
2 people sharing a (larger) room with a shower for one or two rooms.
Three nights full board (breakfast, snack, supper) for 145.- Euro.

Category 3: Fürst (Lord)
2 people sharing a comfortable room inside the castle. Breathing history
in rooms where once the inhabitants of Burg Lockenhaus lived themselves.
Three nights full board (breakfast, snack, supper) for 215.- Euro.

Full board means:
Thursday: Snack
Friday and Saturday: Breakfast, Snack and Dinner
Sunday: Breakfast and Lunch

There will be no additional tournament fee. Drinks and Beverages must be
paid for, nevertheless.

There is one misunderstanding about the above prices: Those prices refer
to BEDS IN ROOMS, not to entire rooms. ONE BED in category "Ritter" will
therefore be 145.- Euro, not the whole room! If you wish for a certain
room mate, please read point 5).

4. Registration
Please register yourself at our site:
http://www.wdc2008.org/en/packages.php

Please note, that all categories are strictly limited. Note also, that
for obvious reasons we follow a strict first-pay-first-serve-policy.
Furthermore, we can only guarantee the package of your choice until the
end of may. Then we return the non-reserved beds to the hotel (and they
will be taken quite fast). Please register soon!

5. Room Reservations
If you know already, with whom you want to share a room, then you may
tell us now, and we arrange for that. If all of you are registered and
have paid already, please tell Clara (office at tu-felix-austria.org) whom
you are sharing a room with.

6. Company
If you travel in company of your spouse, partner, friend, children,
whatever: whether they want to play Diplomacy or not: register each
adult seperately at our site, pay, and tell Clara, that you want to
share a room. If you travel with (small) children: don't register them
seperately. It will be possible to let them share a room with you,
though we currently don't know, how much this is going to cost. We'll
tell you, once we know.

7. Team Tournament
Yes, there will be a team titel as well. Teams will formed by three
players, their results from round 2 and 3 add up to a team result. The
team with the highest team result will be proclaimed "Team Champion".

8. Further questions
If you have further questions, please take a look at our website
http://www.wdc2008.org/en/

and especially at our FAQs
http://www.wdc2008.org/en/faq.php

Your question is likely being answered there. If there still are
questions, don't hesitate to contact us (Clara and Sebastian).
office at tu-felix-austria.org

Looking forward to see you all in August,
Your FAT-team